Tuesday, April 19, 2011

CELEBRATING THE HOLIDAYS WITH OR WITHOUT SUGAR????

It's Passover, which conjures up deep-seated memories of Matzoh balls, Tsimmes, Brisket, Gefilte Fish, and Cold Cereal that tastes like cardboard.   I suppose for those celebrating Easter, it's Ham, yellow peeps and Jelly Beans????

On most Jewish holidays, there is preparation involved, but on Passover, there is more so than any other holiday.  One, we don't eat on our normal two sets of dishes (one for dairy products and one for meat)....no Passover comes with separate dishes (two sets), pans (two sets), silverware (two sets), not to mention the food that all the food we buys during this time must be labeled Kosher for Passover which costs double of what it usually costs.  Passover is celebrated for eight days and during this time we eat Matzoh instead of bread.  We don't eat any grains, or anything that is made with 'yeast'.

This is how I was raised.  It doesn't mean that I follow it so closely.  Except for this year.  This year I have a few of my brother's kids coming to stay with me for 10 days; my niece, her BFF, and my nephew and they keep Kosher.  So out of respect for them and their parents, I have koshered my kitchen.  I have done so mostly with food and paper products, but none the less, it has taken hours of time and work.  Don't get me wrong,  I'm thrilled everyone's coming and I wanted to do it just right.   So when my brother asked me the other day if I had a new can opener for Passover, I nearly lost it.   I mean, couldn't he see by my cupboards and fridge how much work and time and money I've put into this?

I ran out to get a new can opener because I aim to please.   Pleasing everyone else is great if you're a pleaser like me, but what I must not forget to do is to please myself.    And how do i do that?   Sugar.  Give me sugar.

I am three feet away from my cabinets where sugary treats await my family.   There are cakes, a jar of chocolate spread, chocolate covered matzohs......I mean, they're kids!!!!  

Here's how I'm going to please myself this holiday with or without sugar.

1.  I am eating whole wheat matzoh instead of regular matzoh.
2.  I am allowing myself one piece of something sugary per day.
3.  I am going to work out more days per week.
4.  I am going to eat smaller meals.
5.  I am going to drink lots of water.
6.  I am going to savor every bite and not eat mindlessly.
7.  I am going to stop eating when I'm full.
8.  If I really need a sweet, I'll try and turn to fruit, first.

If I can keep the 12 lbs. I've lost so far off during this busy time of family and different foods, I will feel great!!!!   When it's all over, I am going to continue with outside help, perhaps from Weightwatchers.

There is no time limit....only consciousness of what, when, and how I decide to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment