Thursday, March 24, 2011

LESSONS FROM THE DOG

JACK BENNY (my 8 year old Golden mix) is the only one in our household who stops eating when he's full.  Oh sure, he loves his treats, and can't get enough of them, but when it comes to mealtimes, he eats and then he's done.  At least there's one of us who has a little common sense.

Every morning, Jack wakes us at about 6:30 so he can go outside and meditate.  I know, most dogs have to 'go' by then, but not Jack...Jack can hold it longer than any other dog in the world...In fact, he should be in the Guinness book of World Records...ask our dogsitter.  Back to meditating, Jack sits outside, no matter the weather (unless it's pouring), and just clears his mind of all that's bothering him.  By 8 a.m. he's refreshed and ready for another day.

BREAKFAST - Bowl of dry Kibble with a snack on top.   He takes the snack elsewhere so he can enjoy it alone.  (I've exhibited that behavior, too, so you know where he gets it from.)

SNACK:  If he eats his Kibble, he gets this white hard thing that's good for his teeth.  Haha...make brushing your teeth fun!!!!

MID AFTERNOON SNACK:  Just for being a good boy, he'll get another treat, but not too close to dinnertime.

DINNER:  Another bowl of dry Kibble but this time with a little Coconut Oil to make it a little tastier.......

With Jack's limited choices, he stays fit and trim.   Perhaps, if I didn't have this vast amount of food choose from, I'd be fit and trim, too.

Some time during the day, Jack reminds us that we need to go out and play for a short time.  It's a great idea to stretch and roll around on the grass.

At night, while I still sit at my computer, doing research, on Facebook playing Scrabble, whatever, Jack will get up on the couch and look back at me until I join him and Steve, my husband.  It's family time, and I better come sit down and give some love.

Yup.  My dog's got it down in 8 short years while I'm still struggling after 50+.   Oops, gotta go, it's Family Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment